(11 of 40) Learning from learning....

In the last ten minutes -- yes, just now! -- I finished my novel rewrite and sent an e-copy to my agent.

Whew!

I'm on my way to Fedex-Kinko's to print out a copy to put in the mail.

I feel like a wrung-out sponge. In the last three months (four months?) I have learned so much about my own writing and writing process that I can hardly contain it all. I've learned about structure, about subplot and about useful objects (see Robert J. Ray's The Weekend Novelist Rewrites the Novel: a Step-by-Step Guide to Perfecting Your Work), and I've learned smaller but absolutely pervasive style tricks (Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print [2nd edition], by Renni Browne and Dave King was one of the books I used), tricks I can't believe I didn't already know.

I've encountered this wisdom in other places -- lots of other places -- but now I can bear witness to you that it's true, true, true: if you trust your writing, if you keep going to it in faith, and faithfully, it will teach you what you need to know.

I'll have something meatier for you tomorrow.

Comments