(22 of 40) "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." G. K. Chesterton

I'm compelled to share my first very bad watercolor.

I'm trying to remember the original context of G. K. Chesterton's (1874-1936) advice, "anything worth doing is worth doing badly." I believe he was explaining that while we want experts to perform certain tasks -- baking souffles for State dinners perhaps, or leading us on mountain climbing expeditions -- we want to do other things for ourselves. A man should blow his own nose, for instance, even if he doesn't do it with particular skill. We, generally, want to rear our own children, even though Mary Poppins would certainly do it better -- and, in most cases, our children prefer that we stick with this task until we have muddled our way through it. So, I admit that watercolors are much better off in the hands of Monet. And if I could hire someone to write my poems and stories, I guess I'd want Yeats or Dickinson.

On the other hand, drawing and dabbling the watercolors on my silly little picture pleased me, and I'm glad I did it. I think I'll do it again. (I may even take a class, as I'm sure I could do it somewhat less badly with a little encouragement.)

Isn't there a story or a poem or an essay in your head that only you -- no matter how badly -- can tell?

Comments