(24 of 40) Listing

I've been out of town, at my mother's house and at a teaching conference in Yakima, then back to Mom's to help celebrate her 79th birthday. Somehow the combination of locales and tasks (sorting through old photographs and greeting cards, talking about student writers) left me feeling melancholy. Too much in too short a time. I'm having trouble processing it.

So here's another exercise from Heather Sellers that works to fix a particular day's events in one's memory.

1. In ALL CAPITALS, list ten things that you did yesterday.
2. In ALL CAPITALS, freewrite for ten minutes on one item on the list.
3. If you're writing with someone else, you can now talk about how it felt to write in ALL CAPS. If you're writing alone, write a paragraph about how it felt.

Here's my list of ten things beginning Saturday afternoon.

1. DROVE OVER WHITE PASS
2. STOPPED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF MT. RAINIER
3. BOUGHT A LATTE AT A STAND WITH "BEAR" IN THE NAME (IN PACKWOOD????)
4. LISTENED TO DONNA LEON'S A GIRL OF HIS DREAMS ON CD
5. ARRIVED AT THE FARM AFTER THREE HOURS OF DRIVING TO FIND MY BROTHER THERE (!) AS WELL AS THE EXPECTED MULTITUDE
6. HEATED UP A PLATE OF FOOD IN THE MICROWAVE --  CORN ON THE COB
7. SANG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MOM
8. ATE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CARAMEL ICE CREAM
9. PACKED MY GREAT NIECE OUTSIDE IN THE DARK TO PLAY GHOSTS IN THE GRAVEYARD WITH HER COUSINS
10. WATCHED TV WITH MY NEPHEW, HIS WIFE, AND MY THREE GIRLS

As I hadn't seen my brother since Dad's funeral, I'll have to write about what it was like to see him.

Comments