How to Write a Poem about Peace


It is Peace Poetry Postcard Month. My friend Carla Shafer (look for her at Chuckanut Sandstone), hosts this exchange and I've been taking part since the beginning, which I think makes this the 4th year for me. I love POPO, the larger and funded August poetry postcard exchange, but there's something about contemplating peace every day each February that works to bring me more peace. And God knows we need it just now. 

So here's a poem -- or a later version of a poem -- I sent out three years ago. 


How to Write a Poem about Peace


Begin by opening your notebook.
Sit for a long time. 
A thoughtful waiting will teach you 
not to be bored by what looks 
to others like boredom. 
Not only poetry but peace, itself, 
happens like this.
You build your belief in it
moment by moment.
Peace comes to you the way a sparrow,
coaxed by your stillness, comes.
It hops into your hand.
And so, too, the poem begins.                                                 


 

Comments